Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cheer and Bless and Brighten

There are certain moments in life when you feel undeniably connected to those who have gone before.  This past weekend was just such a moment.  As we celebrated our country's independence and honored those who fought to defend the liberties which we freely enjoy today, I remembered a man dear to my heart, who served his nation with honor during the second World War.

My Grandpa Ensign's service in the navy took him to many destinations, and as a result he spent many Sundays attending church among strangers.  There were many times that he felt lonely, sitting in a chapel where few would take the time to greet him and make him feel welcome in a place so far from home.  After his military service was over, he took it upon himself to ensure that any visitors to his own congregation were given a most warm welcome.  To the embarrassment of my then-adolescent father, Grandpa would purposefully seek out visitors and newcomers alike, introduce himself, and strike up a conversation.  No one would feel alone on his watch.

Fast forward to the present day, and this past Sunday I found myself sitting in the chapel of my sister's ward with my family.  Sitting in a pew toward the back corner by the door, I figured we wouldn't draw too much attention to ourselves.  I was wrong.

Logan, in the spirit of his great-grandpa, was determined to greet each and every family as they came to worship.  With an enthusiastic "hi!" and a hearty wave, he was the unofficial welcome committee for the day.  Immediately my thoughts turned to Grandpa and I felt a warm feeling of peacefulness-- as though he were smiling down on us at that very moment.  I'm certain he approved of Logan's cheerful efforts in carrying on his legacy.  I looked down to smile at my baby boy and received an adorably cheesy grin in response-- a perfect little ball of pure joy.

What a wonderful example to follow.
For that and so much more-- thanks, Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)