Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Chip Off the Old (Swimming) Block

It's funny, all the work you put into giving your children every opportunity to find their own interests for themselves.  I have tried so hard through the years to avoid pushing my own hopes and interests onto each of them, and feel that I have done fairly well at not becoming one of "those" moms.  You know the type.  The ones that live vicariously through their kids.  

I want my kids to blossom within their own ambitions and dreams.

Despite our many years of swimming competitively and coaching other swimmers in turn, Bryson and I haven't pushed them toward the sport.  It has been a very conscious decision.  We have put them in swimming lessons consistently because we feel it is an important skill to learn, but as far as the competitive sport has been concerned we have tried to stay neutral.  In addition to swim lessons, we also have tried soccer, gymnastics, wrestling, and dance-- to varying degrees of interest and success.

But just a little while ago, Reilly happened to walk in on Bryson running on the treadmill, as he was watching the Swimming World Championships held recently in Dubai.  She stopped and stared at the screen, a curious look on her face.  Rebecca Soni, Ryan Lochte, Natalie Coughlin.  Swimmers of exceptional skill and talent competing on the world stage.  She was fascinated.

She turned to her daddy.

"I want to do THAT," she pronounced emphatically.

It really is funny.  I suppose the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)