Oh, great.
Those are the exact thoughts that ran through my mind this morning as I glanced at the caller ID on my cell phone.
It was Taylor's kindergarten teacher.
Again.
Have I mentioned that it has been an interesting month around here?
School has been in session for 32 days so far, and already we have had one trip to the principal's office, and several conference calls with his beleaguered teacher.
With a groan, I pulled out of traffic to take the call. I took a deep breath and answered.
His teacher began.
I just wanted to call you and tell you the sweetest story about Taylor and just what a kind heart he has!
Well, this was most definitely unexpected.
She continued on, explaining that during class the children were making applesauce with apples that they had brought from home. For one reason or another, there were several children in the class that did not have apples with them. However, there were a couple of boys in the class that happened to bring two apples each with them, so the teacher asked them if they wouldn't mind sharing their extras with those who were without. As the children who did not have apples of their own raised their hands, the boys each picked one person to share with. But even with these two boys' generosity, there were still several children left with hands raised, disappointed that they had not been chosen.
And Taylor suddenly raised his hand.
They can have my apple, he said.
Just like that.
Without any thought for himself, he gave his only apple to a boy that didn't have one.
Be still my heart.
After all the tears, hair pulling, and teeth gnashing of the past month, I have struggled to stay positive. It is a definite challenge not to lose your mind, let alone your temper when you see your child engaging in behavior that is in opposition to everything they have been taught at home. Even when it is a well-recognized fact that they will always be a force of nature in whatever they might put their mind to.
But, oh how beautiful those simple moments of redemption can be.
Applesauce never tasted so sweet.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to read each of your comments!
Please be kind and respectful to one another-- I reserve the right to moderate & edit otherwise! :)