
After bottling several batches of peaches and jam earlier this summer, I thought I was done with canning... at least for awhile. Rewind to last week. Indian Summer in our area has been very long and warm-- as if the tomato gods smiled down on us this year. I had no intention of putting up any tomatoes for long term storage, until Bryson and I drove over to his parents' farm to harvest the potatoes and acorn squash we raised in an obliging part of their field. The first freeze of autumn was expected in a couple days, along with stormy weather. And no one likes to dig potatoes in the freezing rain.

It was there in that field I saw them: Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes! My mother-in-law had repeatedly offered their excess tomatoes to us, but being worn out and ready for a little breather in life, I had repeatedly declined. However, seeing the enormity of produce the conservationist in me took over. I simply could not let the tomatoes go to waste.
And so for the past week I have been the resident Salsa Queen. :) I have made batch after batch of Mexican Garden Salsa, Salsa Verde (an excellent use for green tomatoes!), and the remainder have been lovingly dehydrated for use through the winter months as sun-dried tomatoes.
Que bueno!

I know I'll appreciate the unparalleled flavor of homemade salsa from fresh vine-ripened tomatoes during the harsh Rocky Mountain winter... Just give me some time to recuperate from Tomato Week. :)
Awesome! I love fresh, homemade salsa. It was fun seeing you guys again!
ReplyDelete