After three years of marriage and rounds of fertility medication, we still found ourselves waiting for your arrival. I can clearly remember the tears I shed, and the prayers I said-- pleading with God to bless us with your little spirit.
Little spirit, ha.
Clearly, I mean Big Spirit.
Just like Hannah of old, I promised that if God would see fit to bless our home with one of His children that I would do all in my power to raise you in the arms of His love.
Shortly after I made that solemn covenant with the Lord, you were on your way.After a difficult pregnancy, and an even more difficult (torturous, really) labor, you made your grand entrance into this world. I snuggled you on my chest, and you looked back at me with eyes wide open. Only minutes old, and you were taking it all in. Inquisitive and intelligent.
Soon after, however, there were complications. You weren't able to keep the necessary oxygen level in your blood stream for your tiny body to thrive. Tucked away in your little incubator, I made the regular journey to visit you and hold you close. The nurses all seemed to think that I was very strong emotionally. But that wasn't it, really. I just had the calm and peaceful assurance from the Spirit that everything would be alright.
And soon enough, you were.We took you home, and to this day I cannot remember a time when I felt more overwhelmed and completely incompetent. I couldn't believe they actually let me leave the hospital with you! Didn't they know I had absolutely no clue what I was doing?
Thank goodness your daddy was there that first week to show me the ropes. And thank goodness I'm a fairly swift learner. We got the hang of it pretty quickly, you and me.
You were patient with me as I learned how to be a mommy. And I tried my best to be patient with you as you grew much faster than I was prepared for.
Each and every day I look at you and am amazed with who you are and all that you are becoming. Your strong, intense determination and enthusiasm for life drives everything you do. Your thirst for knowledge and desire to understand things of both heaven and earth inspire me to no end. You challenge me constantly, and I am all the better for it.I am continually surprised by the things you teach me in the moments I need it most.
I am grateful that even after seven years, you still love to snuggle up next to me and simply be.
These days I look at you, and I am still overwhelmed.
Overwhelmed with gratitude.
Thank you for the privilege it is to be your mother.
I loved you even before you were born, and I will love you still through all the eternities to come.
Happy Birthday, Taylor.


I love this! Our little guy joined our family in very similar circumstances (years of trying, waiting, praying, and treatment), and although it's tough (I hated it at the time), I'm thankful now for the perspective it brought me. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, man when I saw that picture I thought you'd had your baby! I thought you still had awhile-- happy birthday to your little guy.
ReplyDeleteHaha, Heather, I had the exact same thought after I posted... I probably should have led with a current picture of Taylor to avoid confusion! We still have about six weeks (hopefully) left to go until this little babe arrives! :) Thanks for both of your sweet thoughts. ♥
ReplyDelete