It's amazing, the lessons I have learned from a tiny grey stuffed sheep.
To say that the last several weeks have been a challenge would be slightly understating things. As the due date for the twins' arrival continues to tick down at an alarming rate, my energy level and ability to stick to my usual routine has degraded terribly.
This morning was no exception.
But when you're a mom, some things just need doing regardless of what you're feeling up for.
So we got up, got the kids dressed and ready for the day, packed up in the car and drove Reilly to preschool. As I hurried her out of her booster seat, I noticed that Sheepie had made the journey with us and that Reilly had every intention of bringing her into school. She didn't want to leave her alone in the car, so I introduced a compromise. Reilly could put Sheepie in my purse, and I would keep her safe while she was at school. Knowing that Mommy would take good care of Sheepie, she agreed.
Into the purse went Sheepie.
After Reilly was happily situated in her class, the rest of the day began. A stop at the grocery store. A quick return home to grab some library books that were due today. A stop at the library for storytime and to pick up some new books & videos to keep the kids entertained while I needed to stay off my feet.
As Taylor & I approached the librarian's desk, I reached in my purse to pull out our library card. To my horror, I realized that Sheepie was nowhere to be found. Panicked, I searched the purse again. And again. No Sheepie.
Great, I thought. All this time we've been so careful about Reilly losing Sheepie, and now it's me-- the responsible mom-- that has finally gone and done it.
As we made the drive back to Reilly's school I was near tears. And so I did the only thing I had strength left for.
Please, Heavenly Father... please help me find Sheepie. I feel silly asking for Thy help in locating her yet again, but I simply don't have the energy to retrace all my steps today. Oh please.... with all the upcoming changes in our family that Reilly is trying to deal with, I don't want her little heart to break over the loss of her favorite toy too.
As I went through the school's entryway, the main foyer was packed with students and parents. I maneuvered my way through the crowd to the coat rack, retrieved Reilly's jacket, and with a heavy heart went to pick Reilly up. Walking her back through the now nearly empty hall, I took a deep breath as I tried to think of how best to explain the situation of Sheepie's latest-- and seemingly final-- disappearance. But just as I was about to open my mouth, something caught my eye on the linoleum just a few yards ahead of us. Something small, grey, and infinitely valuable.
Relief flooded my heart.
Reilly ran over to Sheepie and picked her up. She cradled her in her arms and immediately began her ritual of smelling her. I wasn't about to stop her-- even if she had been on the school floor for over two and a half hours.
Over two and a half hours in a crowded school with tons of kids big and small coming and going. And there she was, just waiting for us right in the middle of our path.
Coincidence?
I don't believe in coincidences.
Thanks be for a loving Father in Heaven who knows just how important a silly little stuffed animal is to our family. I stand in awe and with immense gratitude.
Thanks for sharing this! It's amazing how much our Heavenly Father loves us -- to answer a seemingly silly prayer to find a lost toy for a child. Tender mercies, indeed.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you found her! For all of your sakes! So how many days now? I can't believe they are almost here...but I am so excited to see them! Your kids are adorable!
ReplyDeleteThat was close! Or not really because of Heavenly Father's love. I cannot tell you how many times I have petitioned Him over seemingly trivial things, but He has seen fit to save my sanity for me! :) I'm glad Sheepie is safe at home!
ReplyDeleteI don't believe in coincidences either, what a great story to remind us that God loves each one of us. :)
ReplyDelete